Has anybody any experience with Li-ion battery shields self-combusting?
Just as I finished assembling Dingbotto I noticed a wire soldered to the voltage output had snapped. I probably had the wire strippers set too tight and cut some of the strands. The batteries were in the correct way around. As I unscrewed the Arduino shield I dropped a screw and it fell down the underside (circuitry side) of the battery shield, possibly briefly shorting something out. There was a wisp of smoke, then the battery protection MOSFETs caught fire, unsoldering the chip from the board in the process. Fortunately no further damage occured, but the battery shield no longer worked of course.
I had a spare (I never buy just one of a cheap component), but at the moment I am using external power until I can run it open and observed for a while.